The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has dropped criminal charges brought against former chief constable Norman Bettison for his statements in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster.
The decision was made due to insufficient evidence and confirmed at a hearing at Preston Crown Court on Tuesday.
Bettison, who at the time was an officer with South Yorkshire Police, was charged last year with four offences of misconduct in public office.
The 62-year-old was alleged to have told lies about the "culpability of fans" in the 1989 tragedy, which saw 96 Liverpool supporters killed in a crush during their team's abandoned FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.
CPS director of legal services Sue Hemming said: "The CPS has a duty to keep all cases under continuing review. Since the original decision to charge Norman Bettison in June 2017 there have been a number of significant developments, which have affected the available evidence.
"These include changes in the evidence of two witnesses and the death of a third witness.
"Our latest review of the evidence has concluded the collective impact of these developments means there is no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.
"I appreciate this news will be disappointing for the families and the CPS will meet with them in person to explain the decision.
"I would remind all concerned that although criminal proceedings are no longer active against Norman Bettison, there are five other defendants facing charges relating to Hillsborough and each has the right to a fair trial.
"It is therefore extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information which could in any way prejudice those proceedings."
Speaking to reporters outside the court, Bettison said: "Such a devastating loss is deserving of all our sympathies and has always included mine.
"Nothing in my experience of the past six years has done anything to diminish that sympathy. My involvement in the events around Hillsborough has often been misrepresented, even in parliament.
"Since then I have been forced to deny strenuously that I have done anything wrong in the aftermath of the disaster. Today's outcome vindicates that position."
Five other men, including former South Yorkshire Police chief superintendent David Duckenfield, are due to stand trial next year for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 people.
In a statement following the decision to drop charges against Bettison, Magaret Aspinall of the Hillsborough Family Support Group said: "We have grave concerns about the handling of this case by the CPS and can confirm that we will be exercising our right to an independent review under the Right to Review scheme.
"It is our view that the wrong charge was brought in the first place and we will be using the review process to argue this point strongly.
"We know how our supporters will feel about this decision and, of course, we all share all of those feelings."
20. November 2018
|Juventus midfielder Can back in training after surgery|
|Rams-Chiefs rollercoaster was the NFL´s modern-day masterpiece|
|Ronaldo an AC Milan target in 2017, confirms Fassone|
|Farah could get back on track at Tokyo Olympics|
|PSG still waiting on Alves and Kurzawa|
|Atalanta reject Gasperini to AC Milan speculation|
|Edmonton Oilers name Hitchcock new head coach|
|JR Smith on Cleveland Cavaliers: Tanking ´was always the plan´|
|Chester signs new Wakefield deal|
|F1 Raceweek: Countdown on to Alonso farewell|
|Rain disrupts Lorenzo´s Honda debut|
|VAR a possibility for Champions League knockout rounds|
|FFP vulnerable in areas, says UEFA president Ceferin|
|Sri Lanka draft in uncapped Peiris to replace Dananjaya|
|Coman back in Bayern training but Lewandowski has knee injury|
|Qalandars land De Villiers in PSL draft, Smith second pick|
|F1 changes helped less talented drivers on the grid - Alonso|
|Agnelli: No super league talks since 2015|
|I hope from now on it only gets better - Floersch update on horror crash|
|Calf injury rules Ashton out of Australia match|
|Halfpenny to miss South Africa clash|
|Hard for Lazio to hold on to Milinkovic-Savic, says Lotito|
|Australia´s next generation pay tribute to retiring Cahill|
|Bairstow pushing hard for Test recall|
|Cane eyes 2019 Super Rugby return after neck break|
|Van Dijk finds time to console referee during Dutch delight|
|Cahill sheds tear at end of phenomenal Australia career|
|WATCH: Pelicans coach Gentry interviews himself|
|Where does Chiefs-Rams classic rank among NFL´s highest-scoring matches?|
|Australia 3 Lebanon 0: Boyle bags brace on Cahill farewell|
|Guendouzi underlines desire to represent France|
|I might need a couple of drinks to relax after that! - Rams coach McVay|
|Juventus´ Alex Sandro has Premier League ambition|
|Ederson taking goalkeeping to another level, says City hero Weaver|
|Ceferin dismisses "super league" plans as fiction|
|Rams defeat Chiefs in one of the highest scoring games in NFL history|
|Kemba Walker leads Hornets to win over Celtics|
|Gomez praises ´top player´ Van Dijk, Stones|
|Cricket Australia to maintain Smith, Warner ball tampering bans|
|Brazil´s Tite encouraged by Neymar captaincy|
|Holmes set for NFL switch after Cronulla release|
|Dier encourages English youngsters to follow Sancho´s lead|
|Southgate promises further changes to England squad|
|Jones sceptical over Pocock injury|
|Sane encouraged despite Germany´s ´annoying´ Nations League draw|
|Character got Netherlands through, says Koeman|
19. November 2018
|Netherlands´ focus still on Euros - Van Dijk|
|Ireland will be ready for qualifiers, insists O´Neill|
|Smith undergoes successful surgery, Redskins sign Sanchez|
|Germany 2 Netherlands 2: Dramatic five-minute fightback seals Oranje progression|
|Denmark 0 Republic of Ireland 0: Thrills at a premium again in Aarhus|
|O´Brien could return for start of Six Nations|
|Cavani: Neymar and I are ´friends, brothers, team-mates´|
|Pothas named Windies interim head coach|
|LA Galaxy planning for Ibrahimovic stay|
|NFL will return to Mexico City in 2019|
|Broner vows to end Pacquiao´s career in Las Vegas|
|UEFA should punish PSG and Man City, says LaLiga chief|
|Teenage driver Floersch has ´no fear of paralysis´ after operation|
|Mancini bemoans Italy´s misfortune in front of goal|
|Sprint legend Johnson ´pretty much back to normal´ after stroke|
|Bournemouth defender Adam Smith out for three months|
|World champions France out to end 2018 on a high|
|I told him there´s no future in football! A-Rod relieved to be ignored by Mahomes|
|Dembele must focus and be more responsible - Suarez|
|Neymar could return one day – Barca chief|
|Cole backs West Ham to keep Arnautovic|
|Injury rules Bernardo Silva out of Poland clash|
|Lamar Jackson debut start ´spectacular´ - Ravens coach Harbaugh|
|Babar run out the turning point, laments Sarfraz|